Meeting was opened by Lynn and we all introduced ourselves to our many visitors.
Board was nominated and elected for 2017.
· President – Lynn Crymes
· Vice President – Phoebe Harrell
· Secretary – Whitner Kane
· Treasurer – Tamie Herin
We also selected committee heads and members selected committees on which to serve for 2017.
· Programs and Special Events – Geri Smith
· Community Service – Sandy Goodwin
· Swaps and Challenges – Cheryl Rivenbark
Breakdown of committees from last year –
· Swaps and Challenges – Kim and Alice did a great job. The entire year was very well planned and members were well informed about upcoming swaps. Kim asked members to fill out a questionnaire and WIP list at the beginning of the year. Throughout the year, progress was tracked and a drawing was held from the names of all that participated. Geri won a $25 gift certificate to Stitch & Sew. Kim also made a gift for each member of a tin box with the guild logo. Inside the box was a magnet holding a needle. THANKS KIM!! WE LOVE YA!
· Community Service – Geri organized several group quilts this year. Over the summer we made a quilt that was donated to family members from the shootings in Orlando at the Pulse nightclub. Our group got together to improve piece strips of color and then grey fabric with hearts cut out was attached to the top of the rainbow pieced strips. We also made a quilt for the QuiltCon East 2017 challenge presented by the Modern Quilt Guild. The quilt design was suggested by Whitner Kane and was pieced by several members at a Saturday sew day. Quilt was quilted by Marybeth and bound by Kim. Geri started a catalog of quilts available for charitable donation.
· Programs and Special Events – Lynn coordinated two classes by Latifah Saafir where she taught her bias tape quilt and the Molehills quilt. We also had monthly sew days that alternated between open sew days and specific projects. These will continue in 2017 at Five Eighth Seams.
· Sew days will be the third Saturday of each month. The next will be on 2/18 and will be held at Five Eighth Seams. This will be an open sew day so bring whatever project you’re working on.
· QuiltCon East is being held in Savannah from Feb 23 – 26. Make plans to go!!
· There are two local exhibits of interest. There is an exhibit of Gees Bend quilts through April 23rd in Myrtle Beach at the Burroughs and Chapin Art Musuem. http://myrtlebeachartmuseum.org/art-exhibitions/upcoming-exhibitions/gees-bend-quilts-prints/ There is also an exhibition of story quilts and fabric collages called “Shine on, Gullah. Shine on.” at Brookgreen Gardens in Myrtle Beach through March 12th. http://www.brookgreen.org/calendar_jan.html
· Penland School of Crafts in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina is offering workshops this summer with Sherry Lynn Wood and Natalie Chanin. Information can be found on their website. http://penland.org/index.html
Show and tell –
Cheryl brought a sweet baby quilt she made from charm squares.
Sandy showed a quilt that she designed and taught at a quilt retreat in Kanuga. Maybe we can convince Sandy to write a pattern/teach a class?
Sandy also showed a sweet baby quilt top she made featuring elephants!
Jenifer made a quilt top in Sandy’s class.
Carol brought this MASSIVE quilt she made from all the green fabrics she had in her stash.
Alice made this gorgeous quilt featuring an appliqued border. We all want to be Alice. . .
New member Hope made this AMAZING rainbow quilt from a kit she purchased. (I want one.)
Tamie brought a Swoon quilt she’s been working on for her daughter in college. We know she'll love it!
Whitner brought a half square triangle quilt top she’s been working on for a friend's little boy.
Phoebe brought a picture of a quilt she made for a friend’s baby due in March.
Renate showed off her fancy flying geese socks.
And a guest - whose name I'm missing! - brought in a beautiful antique family quilt.
Keep them coming, friends! We love to see what you've made!
Our next meeting will be on Tuesday, February 28. We'll recap QuiltCon antics and adventures. Don't forget to bring your nametag and show and tell!