There were 14 members in attendance and 2 visitors. Welcome to our new member, Gloria. Welcome Pat and Stephanie, our visitors.
Kelly, President, opened the meeting and welcomed everyone.
Cloth Pocket in Austin, TX sent us door prizes for our next guild meeting. They are offering MQG members a 20% discount on purchases through their website. http://theclothpocket.com/
MQG sent a QuiltCon swag bag for us to raffle off to a member who did not attend QuiltCon 2015. Congratulations, Debbie our winner tonight.
News from Modern Quilt Guild concerning Quilt Con West in Pasadena, CA February 18-21, 2016:
- Course Catalog will be released by June 1, 2015
- Member Registration opens June 25, 2015
- Quilt Entry July 1 to November 30, 2015
The Charleston Museum is looking for volunteers at the end of June with making a quilt that will help raise money for restoration on Eliza Lucas Pinckney dress. Eliza changed agriculture in colonial South Carolina, where she developed indigo as one of its most important cash crops. Amy will gather more information about this for us.
Kelly told us about Massdrop.com which sells quilting related drops for supplies and fabric sometime at a discounted price. https://www.massdrop.com/
Committees then went into their groups and then report back to us of upcoming activities.
- Community Outreach (Geri) is getting caught up and will update us soon on our service project
- Programs (Lynn) needs members to sign up to host, “Tips, Tricks, & Trends”.
- Swaps & Challenges (Alice) had 11 ugly fat quarters to swap tonight. Please make something with your ugly fat quarter and bring to the next guild meeting to be eligible for a prize. We also signed up to swap 5 inch charm squares tonight in the colors of the rainbow. Those who signed up will bring 21 five-inch charm squares in their selected color to the May guild meeting.
Kelly will update calendar with committee updates.
Debbie hosted tonight’s Tips, Tricks, & Trends on batting and binding our quilts.
- Did you know that if you wash your batting before layering it with your quilt top and backing, before quilting it, it will make your completed quilt feel really soft and like an old quilt (she has done this with Hobbs 80/20 batting).
- Debbie showed us “The Binding Tool by TQM Products” and how much it helps with doing a binding on your quilt.
- She also shows us a faux pipe binding and her technique for hand sewing binding to a quilt.
Thank you Debbie for the great information.
Show & Tell
- Cathy- Blocks from a Kay English class
- Delynne- Machine quilting book
- Carol- Quilt for granddaughter called Happy Heart
- Debbie- Quilt and pillow case for little girl, Quilt for daughter and a Quilt for her husband
- Kelly- Beach inspired mini quilt and a pillow which she tested the pattern that Rebel Craft will be publishing.
- Sandy- Apron for a shower gift and a Alabama Chanin journal cover
- Alice- a baby Quilt from her Improve Class using a score from Sherri Lynn Wood’s new book
- Kim- projects and Secret Sister gifts from her Sew South weekend.
- Carol, Tamie, Debbie, Alice, Jennifer and Kim brought their Sew Together bags made at our last sew day. We will photograph all of them next month.
We had a great show and tell. Thanks to all who contributed and make sure to bring new items next month.
Our next Sew Day will be Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 9 am at the Heritage Trust Bank. We need volunteers to bring an iron and ironing board if you can.
Our next meeting will be Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 6:30pm at the Heritage Trust Bank at 847 Coleman Blvd.
Bring to the May Meeting
Project made with an ugly fat quarter from April Meeting
21 charm squares in your selected color to swap
Show and Tell Items
Funds to Treasurer
$60 (picked up by Jackie 4/29/15)