There were 16 members in attendance and one guest – Alice Biscopink, Kelly's mom.
Phoebe opened the meeting and welcomed everyone.
Kelly B talked about setting up our committees for the upcoming year and a half. Each member will participate on a committee and the commitment will be August 2013-December 2014 to follow the current board year. This way each member will take part in planning our guild's activities. Each committee will choose a chair and email Kelly prior to the next guild meeting. At the close of the September meeting there will be a Board meeting with the Committee Chairs to discuss upcoming activities for the guild. Each of the committees will have some cross over activities and work with each other to make things happen. Members signed up after the meeting for one of the following committees:
· Membership & Meeting Space – This group will focus on publicity, increasing membership, helping new members with information concerning guild and their name tags, and looking for a new meeting space.
· Programming - Programs at meeting
· Special Events – Retreats, shows, fun things for us to do, field trips, sew-in days, etc.
· Swaps & Challenges – Block swaps, challenges within our guild, National Guild challenges, swaps within group/other guilds, sew-ins, etc.
· Community Service & Donations – Making items to be donated to a charity or those in need.
Our program for the evening was looking at the new Modern Quilt Guild website. If you experience any problems or questions using this site, please contact Phoebe so she can pass it on. All members should have received an email to set-up your account. Phoebe will be emailing instructions about setting up your profile and explanations for forums. If you're a CHS MQG member, please make sure to join our group.
The Cobblestone Quilters Guild will be hosting their quilt show February 28 - March 1, 2014. January 9, 2014 is the deadline to enter quilt into the show. Please check their website for additional information: http://www.cobblestonequilters.com/show2014.htm .
We also had a sign up for the new Riley Blake Challenge from the National Modern Quilt Guild. The challenge runs through December 31st, 2013. You can make anything as long as it is quilted. You can add solid fabrics or other Riley Blake fabric. You do not have to use all of the fabric provided. For additional information: see the August newsletter/email from the Modern Quilt Guild.
We have five more block swaps (Phoebe-September, Delynne-October, Ginny-November, Rita-December and Kerri-February). We will do 2 swaps in one month since we are not meeting in December.
Name Tag Challenge: There are great ideas on Pinterest and we now have a page for our group. Phoebe has emailed a link for us. Name tags are to be completed for the Holiday Party. Fabric will be ordered with our logo printed on it for the back of the name tags.
People Places & Quilts Modern Block of the Month Challenge: Our quilts will be due at the October 22, 2013 guild meeting. No sleeve is required on the quilt. Put a label on the back, but cover for judging.
We had a fat quarter swap after the meeting.
Our next meeting will be Tuesday, September 24 at 6:30pm at the SMHA offices at 400 Hibben Street.
Our Quilting Bee
Jackie Boyd received 12 Follow the Leader blocks from those in attendance with more on the way. She is planning to make a king-size quilt for herself. The blocks will finish at 24 inches.
Kim passed out fabric packets with instructions for a Wonky Log Cabin block. We are hoping the blocks will finish at 12 x 15.
Show & Tell
We had a great show and tell. Thanks to all who contributed and make sure to bring new items next month.
· Kim brought the current American Quilting & Patchwork Magazine which has an article about Tula Pink.
· Juanita – fabric from PP&Q, Neutral Territory by Donna Beacher for P&B Textiles. Also, they have new shop cottons & linens.
· Delynne – Table runner using Sew Kind of Wonderful ruler. We are hoping for a class from her on this product. http://sewkindofwonderful.bigcartel.com/
· Delynne – a quilt made by her husband’s Aunt in the 1930-1950’s. She recommends using Barbara Brackman's website, who is a great reference for historical information concerning quilts and fabrics. http://barbarabrackman.blogspot.com/
· Kelly M – shared her list of project in process and recommends a great article she recently read about organizing your projects. Here's the link - http://www.michelemademe.com/2013/03/10-things-I-learned-from-hexagon-quilt.html?m=1.
· Ginny – quilt for nice using Elizabeth Hartman’s pattern, New Wave http://www.ohfransson.com/oh_fransson/2010/03/new-wave-quilt.html
· Phoebe – new fabric from Stitch ‘n Sew Quilt Shop, Road 15 by Sweet Water for Moda and African fabric purchased on Etsy.com
· Kelly B – Hourglass quilt made using fabric printed by Modern Yardage, which is a new company that will print fabric for you. http://www.modernyardage.com/
· Kelly B – quilt using Happy Go Lucky fabric by Bonnie & Camille for Moda. This quilt is called MINE, since she has made a quilt for herself.
· Kelly B – Trip Around the World blocks from our swap. Her Mother (our guest tonight) quilted it using a Baptist fan motif.
Our next meeting will be Tuesday, August 27 at 6:30pm at the SMHA offices at 400 Hibben Street.