There were 13 members and 1 visitor in attendance. Welcome Alice (Kelly B’s Mom).
Everyone was welcomed and Phoebe, President started our meeting for business.
Community Service - Amy mentioned doing charity quilts for MUSC and will get more information for us to consider. Sandy reported that Robin Golden received 50 quilts for the Royal Family Camp. Our guild contributed 10 of those. Great job friends! We have some quilt tops that were not completed, but will be for future needs.
Special Events - Keri reported that at the July meeting we will make plans about our Holiday party/swap. We are planning to use www.elfster.com to draw names for a handmade gift swap. We can use elfster.com to communicate with our secret partner to getting to know them better with emails. If you will not be at the next guild meeting let us know if you want to participate.
Swaps & Challenges- As a reminder our Charleston MQG group quilt Blocks are due at the July meeting. Please refer to the April minutes for more information about your fabric choices.
Phoebe just returned from a trip to Africa where she visited a Sewing Center at Londolozi Private Game Reserve. The center just received a hand crank featherweight sewing machine.
She also had the opportunity to purchase shweshwe fabric while there-can we say beautiful. Phoebe is taking on two new projects, with which she needs our help.
Project #1: Phoebe has a list of sewing items that are needed for the sewing center.
Scissors - small and large
Singer or other sewing machine needles (sizes 90/14, 100/16, 110/18)
7" or 9" zippers
If you have some items to donate, bring them to the next meeting.
Also, she would like to purchase an electric featherweight for one of the women there. If any of you have a machine you'd be willing to sell, or knows someone who does, please let Phoebe know.
Project #2: Phoebe wants to make an “I spy quilt” for a nursery school there. If you have 3-5 inch scraps please bring them to the next meeting also.
Our next sew day will be July 19, 9am-3pm at the Heritage Trust Bank building (847 Coleman Blvd.) Bring a project, lunch and drinks. Or we could order a pizza. Don’t forget your sewing machine power cord, extension cords, cutting mat, rotary cutter, project supplies, and ironing board/iron.
Show & Tell
We had a great show and tell. Thanks to all who contributed and make sure to bring new items next month.
· Whitner - paper pieced live oak block and word blocks for the group quilt. She used the Refrigerator Magnets pattern for her lettering.
· Sandy-Weekender bag, work from a recent class with Sherri Lynn Wood and 2 quilt tops.
· Kelly-Weekender bag, small triangle quilt from a Swap, and a quilt.
· Alice (Kelly’s Mom)-House quilt.
· Keri-Weekender bag, Favorite Things bag, and a quilt made with Michael Miller Challenge fabric.
· Tamie-Has a black dog who needs a new home, if anyone is interested contact her.
· Alice Anthony-2 Magazines: Block & Fresh Quilts, Refrigerator Magnets using Michael Miller Challenge fabric (which was raffled off at the end of our meeting), a Sewing Kit, and her African Quilt called “Middle Passage”, which will be given for the African American International Museum.
· Geri-showed pictures from Sheri Lynn Wood’s class and the first quilt her 5 year old Grand Daughter made.
· Lynn-Family portrait quilt made by her family members and a stack quilt.
Our next meeting will be Tuesday, July 22, 2014 at 6:30pm at the Heritage Trust Bank at 847 Coleman Blvd.
Mark your Calendars
July 19, 2014 Sew In Day
July 22, 2014 CMQG Meeting
July 22, 2014 Charleston MQG group quilt blocks deadline
February 19-21, 2015 QuiltCon 2015 in Austin, Texas
Bring to the July Meeting: Name tag, show & tell items, and you.