Committees were asked to meet prior to the meeting. Following committee meetings, the general meeting was called to order. Door prizes were given to Cathy (a pattern) and to Jackie (a fat quarter), generously donated by The Cloth Pocket.
- Quiltcon registration begins June 25th
- Members can view any past MQG webinars, as well as previous quilt patterns of the month on the MQG site here.
- Please remember to wear your name tags; if you have not made one, please make one!
- The next meeting (July 28, 2015) will be a shorter meeting because the executive board will meet immediately after the meeting. The full membership is welcome to attend the executive board meeting.
- Eleven members attended sew day and 5 quilts were started for charity projects.
- There will be no sew day in July or August.
- Stitch and Sew will have a big 25% off sale on July 17th and 18th.
- Programming: There are still spots available for Lizzy House classes; members, please help get the word out. As time gets closer, programming will be asking for members to help with specific items. Lizzy House class supplies lists will go out shortly (UPDATE: sent on 7/1/15).
- Swaps—Scrap bags were exchanged for Holiday Party swap; several empty bags were swapped for members not present who wanted to participate (please ask Kim for your partner's name if you weren't at the meeting and asked to participate). Next month's swap be Christmas
- Community Service— The Cobblestone Guild will be making and collecting quilts for the families who lost someone in the AME church shooting; they are asking for blocks or completed quilts in the church colors of evergreen, cranberry, black and white. Our guild will be creating a signature quilt for the church. We'd love quilters from around the world to send in a siggie block for the quilt. Phoebe has written a post with all details.
- Geri asked members start to make square in a square blocks in any size and bring those in for ongoing charity quilt projects (this is a square with sashing, not an economy block).
Alice did a demo on big stitch quilting. She uses pearl cotton or 12 weight thread for this. She pointed out that the shorter your needle is the shorter your stitch will be; look for the biggest eye you can. She also recommended using John James self threading needles. She showed how to do a quilters knot for those who didn’t know.
Show and Tell
The following quilts were all made using "Score 5" from Sherry Lynn Wood's book The Improv Handbook for Modern Quilters during the June Sew Day. All will be finished and donated to a charitable organization.
|Alice's drunkard's path Eye Spy quilt|
|Alice's "Score 5" Heather Ross quilt|
|Jackie's "I Love the '80s" zipper pouch swap item|
|Jackie's mini for the Superhero Swap|
|Kerri's amazing in-progress crochet project|
|Lynn's "Score 1" improv quilt|
|Lynn's "Score 5" double gauze quilt|
|Lynn's Scrappy Flag Quilt|
Our next meeting will be Tuesday, July 28, 2015. There is no Sew Day in July. For directions or more information, email email@example.com.