Minutes for the Charleston Modern Quilt Guild Meeting on October 28, 2014
There were 16 members in attendance.
Everyone was welcomed and Phoebe, our President started our meeting for business. Discussion began about the future of our guild. We have been members of the National guild since July 2013 and will continue to do so. Kelly has agreed to move up to President next year and we had some members who are interested in being the Vice President for 2015. Members are asked to let Phoebe know by the next guild meeting if they are interested in running for the office of Vice President, Secretary or Treasurer.
Also under discussion was committees, each committee chairperson is asked to review this past year. They will report at the next meeting what worked and what didn’t work for us so that we may begin planning for next year. Members are asked to start thinking about which committee they want to be on next year. We will sign up in January when we pay our dues.
Our holiday party will be on December 6 on Sullivan’s Island. More information will be out at the next guild meeting. Just a reminder, check elfster.com for information concerning our homemade swap. Please let us know if you have changed your mind or if you will be unable to attend the party.
Kim passed out our comments/ideas that were posted in the google drive document. You can continue adding ideas for us to do.
Geri and Kim reminded everyone about the Improv Sew Day. Join us November 15, 2014 at the Heritage Trust Bank 9 am, we plan to start by 10:00 am. Please see the attached flyer for additional information. CMQG Improv Class 11/15/14
Sandy and Geri did a great job hosting our MQG charity quilt. Special thanks to Cheryl, owner of Stitch n’ Sew for letting us use her classroom last Saturday (10/18/14). Our quilt will come back to Charleston to be given to a children’s shelter. Here are our blocks so far!
Our next meeting will be on November 11, 2014.
Show & Tell
We had a great show and tell. Thanks to all who contributed and make sure to bring new items next month.
· Cathy-paper pieced blocks
· Alice-wine bags made out of shirt sleeves, African fabric quilt, and her hexagon quilt (from her QuiltCon 2013 class with Jacquie Gering)
· Delynne-books and a Scraps for Laps quilt
· Lynn-Halloween table runner and a Riley Blake Zombie Apocalypse quilt. Check out that awesome spiderweb quilting and the creepy sayings she managed to sneak in. Brilliant!
· Amy-Liberty London Swap Buckets
· Geri-Unconventional & Unexpected: American Quilts Below the Radar by Roderick Kiracofe. She will be teaching a class at PPQ once a month. If you are interested in African American quilts and want to attend the class contact Geri and let her know if Saturday or Sunday works for you.
· Keri-2nd block of the Camelot quilt and she has quilted her Valori Wells quilt from Craftsy.
· Sandy-block for her Camelot quilt, a panel for her Alabama Chanin skirt, and a book Godhari quilts from India.
· Linda-shared her items from QSC classes: a curve class & a hunter’s star.
· Pat-2 quilts for a little sister and her brother. (Her 1st quilt!)
· Phoebe-iron caddy and a small quilt for a swap.
Our next meeting will be Tuesday, November 11, 2014 at 6:30pm at the Heritage Trust Bank at 847 Coleman Blvd.
Mark your Calendars
November 11, 2014 CMQG Meeting
November 15, 2014 Pure Improv with Geri Smith Sew Day
November 30, 2014 Deadline to enter a quilt into Quilt Con
December 6, 2014 Holiday Party
January 17, 2015 Sew Day with Amy
January 27, 2015 CMQG Meeting
February 19-21, 2015 QuiltCon 2015 in Austin, Texas
February 24, 2015 CMQG Meeting
Bring to the November Meeting: Name tag, your interest in running for a guild office, show & tell items, and you.