There were 13 members and 1 visitor in attendance. Welcome Kay (Keri’s Mom).
Everyone was welcomed and Phoebe, President started our meeting for business. We are asked to think about the future of our guild. We will be looking for new officers in the next two months. Phoebe is stepping down as president and Kelly will not be moving up due to going back to school. So if you are interested in any position let us know. Please think about what you want out of this guild and what you want/need from our organization.
We will be hosting Introduction to Machine Quilting with Jennifer Ley. Join us September 20, 2014 at the Heritage Trust Bank 9 am, class will begin at 10 am. We will not have our normal sew day. Class sign ups have begun and only a few spaces are still available. Contact Kelly if you are interested in taking this class. CMQG Machine Quilting Class 9/20/14
Kim and Geri are taking over the November 15, 2014 Sew Day. Geri will share her knowledge from the Denyse Schmidt class, Pure Improv Weekend. Join us November 15, 2014 at the Heritage Trust Bank 9 am, we plan to start by 9:30 am. Please RSVP to Kim by November 10, 2014. Please see the attached flyer for additional information. CMQG Improv Class 11/15/14
At our next meeting on September 23, 2014 we will be having a low volume fat quarters swap. Alice asked us to bring as many fat quarters that we want to exchange and you will go home with that many. If you bring 3 fat quarters, you will go home with 3 fat quarters. Low volume fabric is considered white, cream or pale grey with a print on it that fades away.
Amy brought cupcakes and water to celebrate Phoebe and Kelly’s birthdays. Thank you for thinking of all of us.
Sandy and the Community Service committee will host the October 18, 2014 Sew Day. You should have received emails from the Modern Quilt Guild about the Quilt Con Charity Quilt Challenge. Guilds are asked to follow a predetermined color palette and quilts are to be made in the alternate grid work design. The quilts will be shown at Quilt Con 2015 in Austin, TX (February 19-22, 2015). After the quilts are displayed, guilds are asked to donate it to a local children’s shelter. More information will be given to us at the next guild meeting in September.
November meeting will be on November 11, 2014 due to our normal meeting date is the same week as Thanksgiving.
Show & Tell
We had a great show and tell. Thanks to all who contributed and make sure to bring new items next month.
· Delynne-2 quilts (one was the Michael Miller Challenge)
· Keri-just returned from Ireland with yarn, a piece of Liberty fabric & Irish linen. She is starting a new quilt-Camelot design by Trish Harper and has completed a quilt top which is a Craftsy quilt project.
· Sandy-made a cutting mat carrier. She also shared some landscape design quilt books.
· Lynn-back to school clothes, completed a Tula Pink pattern that was a Quilt Along using the Indelible fabric line. She has started a new family quilt where each family member picked fabric from her stash and brought a piece of clothing/cotton fabric from home to create a block from it, which Lynn sewed for them once it was designed.
· Alice-beach bag
· Geri- shared Improv Quilt book and Gee’s Bend: The Architecture of the Quilt.
· Kelly-a quilt from Phoebe, a Mini quilt, and an embroidery kit/bag all made for her to celebrate her birthday. She also shared a quilt she made.
· Phoebe-Shirt quilt from Kelly for her birthday. This is the shirt pattern by Carolyn Friedlander. She also shared her tree project made in class with Carolyn Friedlander earlier this month.
Our next meeting will be Tuesday, September 23, 2014 at 6:30pm at the Heritage Trust Bank at 847 Coleman Blvd.
Mark your Calendars
September 6, 2014 Deadline to sign up for the Jennifer Ley class
September 20, 2014 Introduction to Machine Quilting with Jennifer Ley class
September 23, 2014 CMQG Meeting
October 18, 2014 Community Service Sew Day
October 28, 2014 CMQG Meeting
November 11, 2014 CMQG Meeting
November 15, 2014 Pure Improv with Geri Smith Sew Day
February 19-21, 2015 QuiltCon 2015 in Austin, Texas
Bring to the September Meeting: Name tag, Low Volume fat quarters to swap, show & tell items, and you.